There’s an event taking place this afternoon (14th May) . The aim is to create
• A movement made up of groups which keep their independence but come together to support each other’s campaigns and plan action.
• A movement rooted in real, localised campaigns and wider struggles, especially those in which the people themselves organise to fight back against injustice and oppression.
• A movement united on every issue – on unemployment and unaffordable rents, on fracking and climate change, on tuition fees and student debt, on the gentrification of our communities, on the privatisation of the NHS, on the violence and racism of the police, on the criminalisation of the homeless and the poor, and so many more.
• A movement controlled democratically, from below, with a loose federal structure which can accommodate an expanding number of independent radical groups and assemblies within it.
• A movement united around broad anti-capitalist aims, these to be formulated by the constituent groups, but agreed by general assemblies.
• A movement which aims to grow and unite people in active struggle against the system.
This is an embryonic attempt to create something along those lines, focusing on one of our most basic needs, food. The first post says a little more about it – please feel free to comment or add more posts to the discussion, and help shape what we want from a radical food network.